About This Project
- ¼ cup butter
- 4 cups chopped onions
- 1 tbsp all purpose flour
- 5 cups vegetable stock
- 1 bay leaf
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 6 slices french loaf
- ½ cup Kingdom Cheddar cheese, shredded
- Heat the butter in a heavy based pan, add the onions and cook slowly, stirring occasionally, until evenly browned. This will take about 15 minutes.
- Stir in the flour, add the stock, bay leaf, salt and pepper and bring to the boil. Simmer gently for 20 minutes.
- Toast one side of each of the bread slices and lay, toasted side down on a baking sheet. Cover each with a portion of the cheese and press down. Place under the broiler and toast until the cheese is browned and bubbling.
- Pour the hot soup into bowls and lay a piece of cheese toast in each bowl on top of the soup.